Why meekness never works for me:
1. I end up getting the worst stylist in the salon. Yung tipong mabagal maggupit kung bading yung stylist, or mabaho kamay kung barberong straight. The situation varies. Pwedeng mamadaliin ka since muka kang totoy or kung bading, chichikahin ka nang walang humpay, lalo na kung nagmamadali ka. The fastest way to a man’s pocket is through his ego.
2. I just lost my phone last month in a restaurant where I usually eat. I left the stupid phone for 5 minutes and it’s gone. I KNOW it’s the waiter who stole it, I smelled it from the way he told me ‘Wala po akong nakita sir.’ Sinungaling amputa. If I were a bigger person, I could have scared him, he would have never attempted to steal my phone. Or maybe not, but it never hurts to be bigger. It’s Just A Phone, I know.
3. I get the feeling sometimes that people don’t take me seriously. 😦 Ok lang naman. There are pros and cons to that. If they don’t take me seriously, edi wag.
4. I get approached by marketers of all sorts of products: insurance, credit card, condo. Lahat naman inaapproach for those things kahit mukang macho. But I have a story.
I went to Megamall one time. Bibang girl approaches me and asks if I have a credit card. I told her yes, she says ok, you get a free movie pass blah blah, don’t worry we won’t sell you anything, said like those annoying UNICEF people in underpasses, except this girl is in MEGA MALL, so she told me that seemingly reassuring line in such a.. Megamall marketer kind of way. Sorry if that smacks of arrogance, it’s just that what I’m implying about Megamall’s level of sophistication is the truth. Not that I’m the height of classiness myself.
So I went along with it and I let their agents convince me to attend a session which I have no doubt in my being, is going to be a pyramid scheme bullshit or insurance sales pitch.
I got duped by her because she was so good in her job. She got me to sit chat with an insurance agent all because I was convinced I was receiving free movie passes. She appealed to my, I don’t know which thing it is someone appeals to if someone needs to sell someone something, but she did appeal to that. She asked me where I studied, then she asked me if I’m Chinese since I have Chinese eyes. She then asked me where I work, dropped another flattering remark, and then she tried to drop all these bullshit remarks that I got so charmed by her it became impossible to walk away from it all because I was won over.
5. Taxi drivers take you for a fool. For a fool! Actually you don’t have to be meek to be victimized by these vicious creatures BUT imagine if you look and act meek, how much more vicious they would be.
6. Waiters ignore you. Unless you look like a Daddy, a Tito or a sosyal person with his friends, TGIF hoes and their ilk won’t bother with you, middle class-looking, unassuming person since you’re likely going to order Chicken Fingers lang! It doesn’t happen all the time though. Thank God!
Sometimes it pains me to consume luxurious things but it’s December, it’s desire month. Consume disappointment consume disappointment consume desire, round and round it goes!
7. Salespeople, those whose help you actually need, look annoyed when you ask for help.
This is maybe why I’m occasionally arrogant to call center people, because I can’t be seen and they can’t tell from my voice if it’s a huge person or a small person with a huge complaint.